Aluminum is commonly used in the manufacturing of a number of different household products due to which the oxidized aluminum cleaning process also needs to be regularly performed. Aluminum is a metal of superior qualities due to which an overwhelming number of items such as utensils, sinks, tools, doorknobs, etc. are manufactured with it. However, over the course of time, Aluminum starts to get affected by atmospheric conditions and an aluminum oxide surface starts to get deposited on the surface of the items. Therefore, the oxidized aluminum cleaning process has to be performed in order to clear the deposited surface. There are a number of ways with the help of which the deposited surface of aluminum oxide can be removed. We will discuss two common processes in this article that people can apply at home.
Removing oxidized aluminum using soap and water
It is important to take prompt action when this aluminum oxide surface starts to appear since in the initial stages the layer can be easily cleaned with the help of soap and water. If the layer persists for a longer period then it will get hardened and an action that is more drastic will have to be taken in order to remove the oxidized layer. The steps involved in performing the oxidized aluminum cleaning process using water and soap are as below:
- Rinse the item with water so that soap can be easily applied.
- Now, apply soap uniformly on all areas of the item on which the oxidized aluminum surface is present.
- With the help of a brush or cleaning cloth, rub the surface of the item.
- Continue the rubbing process until the aluminum oxide layer starts to come off.
- The aluminum oxide surface on the item should start to come off on rubbing, however, if it persists than warm water should be used in order to rinse the item.
- A clear surface of the item will appear on rubbing the item with the help of a brush.
Removing oxidized Aluminum using natural cleaners
There are a number of natural cleaners available, which can be used in order to perform the oxidized
aluminum cleaning process. Some of the common and effective natural cleaners are vinegar, baking
soda, cream of tartar, etc. The steps involved in cleaning Aluminum items having a layer of Aluminum
oxide with the help of natural cleaners are as below:
- Prepare a solution of natural cleaners by mixing an appropriate amount of the cleaner in water.
- Heat the mixture for some time so that it is more effective in removing the oxidized Aluminum layer from the surface of the item.
- If the item that needs cleaning is small than it can be placed in the solution for 15 minutes. The solution will react with the Aluminum oxide layer and it will start to come off after some time.
- In case the item is large and it cannot be placed inside the solution then a cleaning cloth or brush should be soaked in the solution in order to rub it on the surface of the item.
- Continue the rubbing process until the surface starts to clean and the layer of aluminum oxide starts to come off.